Bill Robertson

I am a sinner saved by grace and a parttime poet. I participate in Celebrate Recovery and have been sober since 04/09/2011. My wife and I are both retired. I love my life. I am truly blessed.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Contest Winners 2007

For National Poetry Month in April, I again sponsored a poetry contest for kids in the 3rd through 12th grades. And again the libraries in Plano and Sandwich put the word out and helped with the judging. Here are this years winners.


FIRST PLACE
Brendan Bond
10th Grade

An underdog against a top seed, Davis versus Goliath, the Cinderella team trying to beat a top dog in the Elite Eight with a Final Four berth on the line

Two seconds to go, ball out of bounds; they're down by two

The buzzer blares and they break from the huddle, a play drawn up

He walks to his spot on the court, the crowd is screaming itself hoarse around him. but he can't hear them - his jersey is drenched as the sweat drips off his forehead

The ref's whistle blows as he snaps into action
Fake a cut left, sprint to the right, curl around the screen
He catches the ball outside of the arc
Now it's hust like he's practiced millions of times in his driveway...
Square the shpulders, bend the knees, elbow in...
A hand is in his face but he ignores it, now it's just him and the baket
He snaps the wrist, follows through
The ball backspins as it arcs toward the basket
The buzzer sounds in mid-flight
Then, for a fleeting moment, silence, followed by the sweet, crisp swoosh as the ball ripples through the net

Pandemonium ensues,
And the celebration begins as his teammates pile on him knowing they are moving on

Later, he gets the thrill of cutting off a piece of the net that flickered ever so slightly as the ball went through

Who says Cinderella has to be home by midight?


SECOND PLACE
Vivi Perez
6th Grade
If I were a winter breeze,
I'd laugh all day
and scream and freeze.
I'd howl and blow
all for show.
I'd sprinkle and feather
the earth with soft white snow.
I'd mix the wind and snow together.
If I were a winter breeze.
THIRD PLACE
Kylen Pattermann
9th Grade
Words are everywhere,
We hear them everyday,
But we don't always see the importance,
In everything we say.
Words can be kind,
They can compliment and please,
But words can be cruel,
They can hurt and they can tease.
Words can be swift,
They can come and they can go,
But words can last,
Just like the fallen snow.
And words can hurt more,
Than any stick or stone,
So be careful what you say,
And be sure to watch your tone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home